Sunday, September 27, 2009

NOLA - Lower 9th Ward Series - #1

I've been thinking for some time about starting a series of small knife paintings based on the views I find through Google Street View in the area of New Orleans called the Lower 9th Ward. As most people know, this was one area hit devastatingly hard during Hurricane Katrina, and the resulting flooding caused by broken levees.

I've picked ten views on which to base the paintings. I seriously doubt that anyone will look at any of these paintings and proclaim their beauty. That's okay.

"NOLA - Lower 9th Ward Series - #1"
5" x 7", oil on canvas panel, palette knife


6 comments:

Dorci said...

I looked at the painting before I read the post. My first thoughts as I looked at the scene was one of rest and calm - beautiful characteristics. Beauty is perceived in the inward being.

CiCi said...

Beauty? Maybe. Simplicity? Maybe calm before the storm? This is a wonderful painting.

Ekanthapadhikan said...

I'd readily say that the painting is nothing but BEAUTIFUL!

The subject of the painting has a story to tell and the strokes are so genuine. It could be nothing short of BEAUTIFUL!!

Lisa Daria said...

You are too modest - this is beautiful - oddly, I stumbled upon your site/blog for the first time, twice w/in the hour!

This idea is great!

Daphne said...

What a wonderful source of inspiration. I can't wait to see more.

Prabha said...

The knife has given such beautiful textures, especially of wood.