Sunday, January 10, 2010

Cedar Creek Thaw

Looks like today was the last of the snowy plein air pieces for a while. The weather is supposed to turn warmer early this week, and most of the snow was melting this afternoon. I did get a chance to jump down into another part of Cedar Creek today though. This one took about 2 and a half hours. I purposely used the same limited palette and the same size canvas, as I think these last three look good together as a short series.

For those interested, my palette consisted of Ultramarine Blue, Cobalt Violet, Golden Ochre, Transparent Oxide Red, Burnt Siena, a touch of Cad Yellow and Mars Orange, and White of course.

"Cedar Creek Thaw"
22" x 28", oil on stretched linen


6 comments:

Leslie Hawes said...

This does have the feel of 'thaw' to it! The tree in the creek intrigues me.

Unknown said...

Mars Orange...where did you find that...let me know....!!!!!!

like the painting also by the way...Happy New Year Bill

Shelley Ross said...

I love this one. Beautiful light. It looks like Alberta in the springtime.

Shelley

Miuxa said...

Beautiful !!!

used cars knoxville said...

That is gorgeous. I've always been too scared to try oils. I do watercolors.

Making A Mark said...

Hi Bill - I've got a post about your use of Streetview on my new 'The Art of the Landscape' blog today

See Google Street View and The Virtual Paint Out