Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Self Portrait Demonstration

Started this one last night, and took a few pics along the way to show my process. I meant to take more but I get to concentrating and forget. ;)   15" x 20", charcoal

The first pic is a quick 10 minute block-in using pan pastels and a small palette knife/trowel with soft tip as an applicator.



The next pic shows about 30 minutes work with an eraser, trying to find the forms.



Next is the first application with charcoal pencil. I rubbed down with a paper towel. About 30 more minutes.

Here's where I'm at now. This is after white was used, and again rubbed down to get the values closer together. This was about 45 minutes.



The process is about refining with each step. I see things now that need fixing. So each time I go back in, re-draw, brush or rub down, it gets more correct. At least that is the hope.
Worked on it about another hour tonight. I'm including the finish and a detail shot.

4 comments:

Concha Signes said...

Excellent work Bill, perfect drawings. Congratulations.
Regards
Concha

Unknown said...

This is very fine drawing and a delight to view. Thanks for the very informative process shots. Great stuff.

jgr said...

Wonderful portrait! Thank you for the including the steps and the progression, I am inspired!

Linda Popple said...

Thanks for sharing your progression with this portrait. It is a wonderful piece. Makes me want to pull out my charcoal.