Friday, June 18, 2010

Herman

I talked with Herman a little today, and asked if I could take his picture. He knows me, but doesn't know my name. He drinks a lot, and can usually be found sitting on a bench on the shady side of the courthouse in the middle of our small town. Of course, the shade changes as the day progesses, so Herman moves around a little. He can also be seen walking through town and across the bridge over the Cumberland River, carrying his .22 rifle. Does some rabbit and squirrel hunting.

I showed him the digital pic on my camera, and he said, "There's Ol' Dad!" I think he'll get a kick out the drawing.

Herman, 15" x 20", charcoal

4 comments:

Linda Popple said...

So very nice, Bill. One can almost read his life on his face. Well done.

Billy Guffey said...

Thanks Linda.

Shelley Ross said...

Ah, how sad and yet sweet, that he said there's old Dad. Will you give him the drawing? I commend you for fitting in your art in all the little spaces in your life.

Art with Liz said...

An incredible portrait Bill! So much character and hardship in this face - you've caught it beautifully. I must say I find it a bit unnerving that someone who drinks so much walks around with a firearm!