Sunday, July 29, 2012

Downriver (with setup shots)

I set up my easel on a large gravel-bar in the Cumberland River today. When I walked to the painting spot I was on dry ground, but they started letting water out from the dam upriver, probably before I got there, and by the time I left I had to walk through water about 15 feet wide and a couple of feet deep. I ended up moving my easel a few times also, because of the rising water, and ended up about 25 feet from where I started.

I'm including some setup/in progress shots here.

I think it was artist Scott Moore who said that if God wanted us to paint verticals He would have put our eyes on top of each other...

Downriver
24" x 18", oil, plein air






1 comment:

ann @ studiohyde said...

Lovely painting. Having to move can often change a painting, but you kept this view wonderfully.