Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Tenant Farmer's Wife & WIP


I did the painting above tonight, hoping it might make a good companion piece to the Chopping Cotton painting. I figure with matching frames they'll look okay on the same wall. Did this one with a limited palette just like the one before. Alizarin Crimson, Ultramarine Blue, Winsor Yellow, white and black. This one doesn't seem to have as much color as the last one. I hope it works. It's 20" x 16, oil on masonite panel.

Tha painting below is a work-in-progress. A cityscape of downtown Burkesville, Kentucky, that will be framed and auctioned off during Esther's Evening of Hope in October. EEH is a fundraiser for my wife's non-profit organization, Esther House - A Home for Battered Women and their Children. It's large at 24" x 36", oil painted on birch hardwood 3/4" thick panel. It's getting close. Just need to add the truck at left, the church at right, finish the street and telephone poles.

Let me know what you think about either of these two.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bill- I really like this Tenant Farmers' Wife- ( I'm partial towards figuratives ).
She'll make a great companion piece for the Cotton Picker ( not sure if that's the correct title but it's one of your earlier ones ).

You get so much out of so few colors.

The landscape with the buildings too, really evokes the feeling of a town road.

They're both really good works and I hope you raise some fine dollars for your wifes' cause.

Billy Guffey said...

Thanks Bonnie. I think the tenant woman worked out okay. I may need to bump the colors a bit. Not sure yet.

The town scene is coming along. Hopefully someone will bid on it. :)

Liz said...

I really like the Tenant Farmer's Wife and the Cotton Picker as well.

Billy Guffey said...

Thanks KY Painter. I appreciate the comment.