Monday, January 13, 2014

Upside Down Exercise

Painting upside down. 

Painted from a photo on my phone this morning. The scene is from my backyard a couple of weeks ago when we had a little snow. In the winter the morning light rakes across the yard and seems to take up residence in the small apple tree next to the property line. Some days you could swear that the light was coming from within the tree itself. 


Painting from the small picture on my phone makes for a more simplified painting, but to add to the abstract quality of the initial paint I turned the pic upside down to get at the heart of the shapes. I painted this on a 16" x 20" canvas that had been toned dark brown to cover an old sketch. 


The first pic shows what the painting looked like before I flipped it over. 


The next pic is the painting right-side up. 


And the third was after a few highlights were placed.






No comments: