Thursday, July 21, 2011

Trooper Island

This was a painting I worked on outside for two consecutive days. The first day was only about an hour and a half. I got the initial sketch finished, which was quite a feat since it was about 100 degrees. I finished it up on location today with about 3 hours color work. It was about 10 degrees cooler also.

The scene shows Trooper Island which sits in Dale Hollow Lake. The island itself is split between Kentucky and Tennessee. I painted this view of it from the deck at the Lodge at Dale Hollow Lake State Resort Park. I talked to many, many people while painting this one. At one point during the sketch there were 15 to 20 people on the deck watching me and asking questions.

This painting will be framed, varnished and auctioned off at the Esther House Evening of Hope on October 8, 2011.

Trooper Island
24" x 36", oil, plein air


No comments: