Saturday, July 18, 2009

Dr. Gachet's Lemon Tree

I went in search of Van Gogh. Traveling, through Google Street View, the roads and neighborhoods he walked and painted. I came upon this small street in Auvers, France, with old houses, gateways and staircases; named Rue Dr. Gachet. Not far from it is the Rue Van Gogh. I have no idea if the good doctor actually lived on this short street, or if maybe Van Gogh had walked these steps. But in my mind he was there, trying to talk the doctor into sitting for him.

This painting felt so good. From the simple toning of the canvas, to the initial sketch and lay in of colors. You know, the feeling of excitement with each brushstroke. And not a feeling of creating something good, but just a feeling of creating.

Thanks for looking and listening to the short ramble.

24" x 30", o/c




10 comments:

Jill Berry said...

It's Awesome...

Vicente Herrero said...

Hello,Bill
Very good.
Congratulations.
Great work.

Arti said...

This is so good! It feels like we are a part of the history here simply by looking at it.

Autumn Leaves said...

What a beautiful painting, Bill. I am amazed at your skill. Sometimes I think I should just quit trying as I can never achieve anything close to this level of artistry. Truly jaw-droppingly beautiful. Street by street using Google street view? Hmmm...

Kaye said...

You can tell that you were feeling the atmosphere and the photo you were looking at. It does feel good when you "feel" a painting inside and out! This is a very beautiful painting!

Ruth Squitieri said...

Bill, very very nice! I am always amazed what you can do with those tiny views. I am sure there was no detail like those roses in the original, but you did a superb job! Wow.
Ruth

Billy Guffey said...

Thanks Jill, Vicente, Arti, Autumn, Kaye and Ruth! I appreciate all the nice comments.

EL said...

Wowww ....absolutely beautiful! Superb work!

Aslo said...

Wow, your paiting, are beautiful, I enjoyed looking at them. I especially liked the ones at the garden with the red flowers. Absolutely beautiful :D

Biggles said...

Hi Bill,

Just read about your work in the Telegraph. What a great idea! I'm sorry that I may have to steal it : )

This one in particular, I love. Great work and all the best.

Biggles