Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Courtyard - A Demonstration

Here's a short demonstration of a painting I did tonight. I painted on linen mounted to masonite. The size if 9" x 12". I used both brushes and palette knife with this one. Above, you can see my toned support.

Above, is my laying in of the darks with a palette knife.

At this step I wanted establish the light of the painting. To me the focal point (can light be a focal point?), and the most important element of the painting.

Starting to lay in the backlit leaves and cooler areas.

Working from back to front, building up each element along the way.

Above, I tried to refine what needed it, and abstract what needed it. ;)


Above you have the final painting. I wish I had taken pics of the building and fence as I was doing them, but I got too wrapped up in the process and forgot. Again...

Thanks for taking this short little detour with me. I had fun, and hope you did also.

3 comments:

Arti said...

Your art work is bewiching, Bill.I just loved the way this scene emerged out of a rusty background.Its like magic!

Billy Guffey said...

I appreciate the comments Arti. I'm pretty happy with how this one turned out.

Anonymous said...

Love the progression of unexpected finish from the deep richness of the toned canvas. A very helpful step by step.
And great finished piece again Bill.