Friday, April 3, 2009

3 new plein air paintings




I did these three while we were on a short vacation to the Smoky Mountains this week. The girls were swimming at a huge indoor waterpark with 1000 other kids, mostly screaming. :) So I took a few breaks and tried to paint some of the natural beauty of the area.

The top one was at the river between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Talked to quite a few tourists that kept sneaking up behind me. This one I painted with brushes.

The middle one was next, painted with a palette knife. It was on the same river but back into Pigeon Forge next to the Old Mill.

The last one was done next to our hotel. Looking back toward town. Again with a palette knife.

These are the first plein air paintings I've tried with the knife. I liked it. Really made me simplify. Comments are always welcome.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

These are interesting in the fact that they have been produced by different methods. Your skill with the knife is such that there are times you produce a subtlety that looks brush-like. The brush painting has a feel of knife work. They are all satisfying pieces and are tribute to your ongoing energy and commitment.

Billy Guffey said...

Thanks Mick. These were the first plein air pieces I have done with a knife. I think both, brush and knife, are carrying over to each other. Feels pretty good right now.